Friday, December 14, 2007

Year in Review - Best of ’07 Part III

From Flash to Crash in 6.8 seconds flat

Once a hidden gem in the blog world, Young Folks by Peter, Bjorn and John is now a staple of dusty, crackling grocery store stereo systems the world over. I’d say that the karaoke version is not far off but I’m sure it’s out there somewhere already (yup, it is - just googled it). All that’s left is the “Guitar Hero” and “Rock Band” treatment. Whistling will reach a whole new level of competitiveness.

I have spent my life wondering why the music I like isn’t more popular, only to become hugely frustrated and annoyed when something does slip through from my world to that of the mainstream. I never understood why James never became the next U2 or REM; I’m happy to own “Neutral Milk Hotel” to (relatively) myself; I’m saddened, a bit, that Beirut has suddenly and surprisingly become media darlings (who’d have thought that ALL those horns would take off?).

Speaking of the relative merits of success… here’s Morrissey’s response to then-stadium-filling band, James and their rise to modest levels of stardom in the early 90’s:

VIDEO We hate it when our friends become successful by Morrissey Caution: lamé alert

2 comments:

Zenmomma said...

Aw c'mon Morrissey, dont' hate on James!

mesmith said...

He hates on everybody. It's a compliment!