Best Music Video of 2007: Lyckans Undulat (Band: Detektivbyrån; Director: Daemon Film)
This video has it all… cool use of the dissolve technique and time-lapse videography, an easy to follow/ slightly off-kilter plot, a cockroach, petal vomit, over-sized lollies, shots of the mother-nation (Sweden) and some short, non-egotistical footage of the band playing live. Key to it all is the way in which the fast-paced visual imagery lines up with those frenetic instrumental sounds (as when the song slows momentarily as darkness descends and the twirling fire lady pops into view). It doesn’t hurt, too, that this is one of the best songs I’ve heard all year. In a word: Flawless!
It is because of the clever use of dissolving images that this video is best viewed in its proper format... download here. From their amazing website you can also check out the video clip documenting the purchase, and playing, of Anders Flanders' new accordion (exciting!)... AND download a great selection of Detektivbyrån tunes.
Best video of the year? Hell, Detektivbyrån are best BAND of the year! Here's more... Video Hemvägen (Live Nyhetsmorgon 2007) by Detektivbyrån
Gushing over. Here are some other fine examples of visual imagery set to incredible music from the year that almost was...
2. Peacebone by Animal Collective (strange, but with a cool car)
3. Thou shalt always kill by Dan Le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip (appropriate walk-about/ rad beard)
4. Open your heart by Lavender Diamond (roller skating dance fest)
5. Top Ranking by Blonde Redhead (Miranda July doing her long-limbed thang)
6. Australia by The Shins (thieving, conniving band-members run amok!)
7. A brighter beat by Malcolm Middleton (great facial expressions/ fine balloon acting)
8. Manchester by The Beautiful South (chav alert!)
9. Kids aflame by Arms (great story - too bad the video no longer exists... anywhere!)
10. Can’t tell me nothing (alt. version) by Kanye West featuring Zach Galifianakis and Will Oldham (skimpy clothed beardo-weirdos getting their groove on - hilarious)
11. D.A.N.C.E. by Justice (cool t’s)
12. Belarus by Low (the loneliness of the cross-country skier)