I'm not a big fan of the chain letter but I can’t ignore the power of the Crystal, so for the sake of self-deprication here's my 8 Things About Me...
1. I used to be in a gang. We wore North Star sneakers and rode bikes with ape-hanger handle bars and oversized banana seats. Actually, that’s not true. I was a wanna-be gang member, a pledge for my brother’s crew. I was either too small or too young (seven) or my seat was too gold and shiny, I’m not sure.
2. I tell people that music started for me with The Smiths, but really it was Rush. YYZ baby!
3. I’m pretty boring (other than the gang thing) - no tattoos, no piercings, never tried any drugs. Though I did once get my hair died blonde (or rather “duck-fluff yellow”) and I got a perm (twice) in my early teens. Sweet.
4. I’m lame and pathetic. Not only did I spout Morrissey lyrics to my future wife during our otherwise successful courting days, I once tried - miserably and unsuccessfully - to get a date with someone over the phone by talking like the immortal Lloyd Dobler in “Say Anything”. Also, Fergus answers to the name “Goose” because in-utero he was Gergus which evolved from Gurgi as in "Gurgi needs crunchings and munchings" (yeah I don't know either - apparently you have to read books to understand this). Anyway, that turned into "Fergus" upon birth which then morphed into Fergoosian which ultimately, in my small, lame, pathetic mind, blossomed into famed former Yankee hurler Rich “Goose” Gossage. Fergus/Goose's proper first name is none of the above.
5. I’m not a SciFi junkie, metal-head or blues lover and I’ve never really played video games (and when I do I suck: hello Xbox car racing; hello “Guitar Hero”) and I despise, though have never seen, American Idol. I am however a RomCom and teen-movie fanatic and my all-time favourite flick is “Some Kind Of Wonderful”.
6. I think I’m a pretty laid back, quiet, kind, unassuming fellow who is working to reduce the competitive fibres in my being, however I lead my soccer team in career “timeouts” where I have to leave the field for 10 minute spans due to either verbally abusing the referee or yelling at/ shoving opponents and usually this is right after someone mumbles “its just for fun” which really riles me and, like, makes me upset and stuff. I play in a co-ed beer league.
7. I, yikes, turn 40 in less than 6 months and I guess I better come to grips with the reality that I may never achieve my life-long goal of becoming a professional soccer player. I also concede that I may never fully understand and appreciate the appeal of NASCAR.
8. I like every kind of food except hazlenuts and can’t figure out why everyone else likes the wretched things. Filberts I like – so don’t tell me they’re the same thing. My wife has trouble sleeping when she’s stressed about money and suchlike but this nut dilemma is exactly the sort of stuff that keeps me up at night.